Thinking of finishing off your acrylic nails with gel polish?
In this article, we’ll be deep-diving into the world of acrylic nails with gel polish to answer all your questions.
Ready to get the scoop on this nail trend?
Let’s get into it!
Can You Put Gel Polish on Acrylic Nails?
Yes, you can put gel polish on acrylics!
In fact, it’s a popular choice for those seeking a long-lasting manicure.
One of the great things about applying gel polish to acrylics is that you can enjoy a chip-free manicure for 2 to 3 weeks.
However, there are some drawbacks to using gel polish on acrylic nails.
Firstly, prep is an issue as you’ll need to create a rough surface for the polish to stick to.
Secondly, the removal process can be damaging to the acrylics.
It’s important to use a gentle, acetone-free remover to avoid damaging the nails.
Is It Safe To Apply Gel Polish on Acrylic Nails?
When applied correctly, gel polish on acrylic nails is generally safe.
However, it’s important to be aware of the potential safety concerns, such as the risk of fungal infections.
To minimize the risk of infection, make sure to keep your nails and hands clean and dry.
It’s also important to use a reputable salon that follows proper sanitation procedures.
How To Prepare your Acrylics For Gel Polish
The key to a successful gel polish application on acrylic nails is proper preparation.
Here are the steps to properly prepare your acrylics for gel polish:
- Clean your nails thoroughly to remove any oils or dirt. Washing with dish soap is a good idea.
- Shape and file your nails to your desired length and shape.
- Buff the surface of your nails gently to remove any shine and create an abrasive surface for the gel base coat to stick to.
- Apply a gel base coat to help the gel polish adhere to the nails.
- Cure the gel base.
That’s it for prep.
Once you’ve followed these steps just go ahead and apply 2 coats of gel polish.
Don’t forget to cure and add a topcoat!
By properly preparing your acrylic nails, you can ensure a long-lasting, chip-free manicure.
How To Apply Gel Polish on Fake Nails
Alright, we’ve covered how to prepare your nails in the last section.
Now let’s go over the full application method.
Applying gel polish on acrylics is basically the same as applying it on natural nails.
Here are the steps for a flawless application of gel polish on fake nails:
- Apply a thin layer of base coat and cure under a UV or LED lamp for the recommended time.
- Apply a thin layer of gel polish in your favorite color and cure under a nail lamp for 30 seconds (LED) or 2 minutes (UV).
- Apply a second, thin even layer of color.
- Cure again according to your lamp’s instructions.
- Apply a gel topcoat and cure under a UV lamp.
- Wipe the nails with a cotton pad soaked in rubbing or isopropyl alcohol to remove any sticky residue.
It’s important to be careful and precise when applying gel polish on acrylic nails to avoid smudging or bubbling.
Is It Worth Getting Gel On Acrylic?
If you’re looking for a long-lasting manicure, then yes, it may be worth getting gel on acrylic nails.
Gel polish is known for its durability and chip-resistant properties, and when applied to acrylic nails, it can last even longer.
However, it’s important to consider the maintenance required for acrylics with gel polish, as well as the cost.
The biggest issue is when you want to change out your gel polish.
This can be a real nightmare because you can’t use acetone to remove the gel otherwise you’ll ruin the acrylic.
It’s up to you to decide whether you think gel polish is worth the hassle.
Acrylic Nails with Gel Polish vs Regular Polish
While regular polish is a more budget-friendly and easier-to-remove option, it doesn’t have the same durability as acrylic nails with gel polish.
The regular polish also takes longer to apply than gel polish because you have to wait for it to air dry between coats.
Here’s a full list of the pros and cons of Regular vs gel polish when used on acrylics:
Acrylic Nails with Gel Polish
- Long-lasting: Gel polish on acrylic nails can last for up to 3 weeks or more without chipping or peeling.
- High-shine finish: Gel polish has a high-shine finish that lasts for the life of the manicure.
- Shorter drying time: Unlike regular polish, gel polish does not require as much drying time and will be dry immediately after application.
- Resistant to chipping: Acrylic nails with gel polish are more resistant to chipping than regular polish.
- Good for special events: If you have a special event coming up and don’t want to worry about your polish chipping, acrylics with gel polish are a good choice.
- Higher cost: Acrylics with gel polish can be more expensive than regular polish.
- Removal process: The removal process for gel polish on acrylics can be time-consuming and may cause damage to the natural nails if not done properly.
- Not as breathable: Gel nail polish can be less breathable than regular polish, which can increase the risk of infection or other nail problems.
Regular Polish with acrylic nails:
- Cost-effective: Regular polish is less expensive than acrylics with gel polish.
- Easy to change: Regular polish is easy to change and can be removed quickly.
- Breathable: regular polishes are more breathable than gels, reducing the risk of infection or other nail problems.
- Shorter-lasting: Regular polish chips easily and needs to be reapplied more often than gel polish.
- Dull finish: Regular polish can have a dull finish compared to gel polish.
- Requires drying time: Regular polish requires a drying time of several minutes.
- Can be messy: Regular polish can be messy to apply and can smudge easily if not given enough drying time.
- Not as durable: Regular polish is not as durable as gel polish and is more prone to chipping and peeling.
Both acrylics with gel polish and regular polish have their pros and cons.
It ultimately depends on your personal preference and lifestyle.
If you’re looking for a long-lasting, high-shine finish, then acrylics with gel polish may be the way to go.
However, if you prefer an easier-to-change option and are looking to save money, then regular polish may be the best choice.
Does Gel Polish Last Longer on Acrylic Nails?
No. Gel polish does not last any longer when applied to acrylics.
With proper care and maintenance, gel polish on any type of nails (acrylic included) can last for up to 3 weeks without chipping or peeling.
Of course, how long your polish lasts depends on your lifestyle and how well you take care of your nails.
The Price of a full set of acrylics with Gel Polish
The cost of acrylic nails with gel polish varies depending on the salon and location.
On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $40 to $80 for a full set of acrylics with gel polish.
It’s important to keep in mind that regular touch-ups and maintenance will be required to keep your nails looking their best.
Gel polish typically needs to be removed and reapplied every 2 weeks.
Do You Need a Basecoat for Gel Polish on Acrylic Nails?
Yes, you need a basecoat for gel polish on acrylics.
The base coat helps the gel polish adhere to the nails and provides a smooth surface for the polish to adhere to.
It also helps to prevent staining of the acrylic nails and extends the life of your manicure.
What Is Acrylic with Gel Polish?
Acrylic with gel polish is a combination of acrylic nails and gel polish.
Acrylic nails are a type of fake nail that is applied over your natural nails to extend their length and provide a smooth surface for gel polish to adhere to.
The gel polish is then applied to the acrylics for a long-lasting, chip-free manicure.
Should I Get Acrylics with Gel Polish?
Whether or not you should get acrylics with gel polish depends on your personal preference and lifestyle.
If you’re looking for a long-lasting manicure and you don’t mind the hassle of removing gel polish without using acetone, then by all means go for it!
But if you’d rather have the option of changing your nail color more easily (but also more often) then a regular polish might be worth considering.
What Type of Polish Goes on Acrylic Nails?
So, you’re wondering what type of polish goes on acrylic nails, right?
Well, the good news is that you can pretty much use any type of polish on your acrylic nails!
Yes, you heard that right!
Whether you prefer glossy, matte, or glittery finishes, you’re in luck!
However, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure that your polish lasts as long as possible.
Firstly, it’s always a good idea to prep your acrylic nails as outlined above and use a base coat before applying your color.
This helps to protect your nails from staining and helps your color to adhere better.
It’s also a good idea to use a topcoat after applying your color to seal it in and give it a longer-lasting finish.
When it comes to the actual polish, there are a few options to choose from regular polish, gel polish, and shellac.
Regular polish is a great choice for those who like to change their color often and don’t mind having to reapply more frequently.
Gel polish is a longer-lasting option that gives you the high-shine finish you’re looking for, but it requires more maintenance and is more expensive.
And lastly, shellac is a hybrid of regular polish and gel polish that gives you the best of both worlds: long-lasting color and a high-shine finish.
Can You Get a Gel Polish Change on Acrylic Nails?
Yes, you can get a gel polish change on acrylics.
In fact, it’s a great way to refresh your manicure without having to remove and reapply the acrylic nails.
Simply remove the old gel polish, prepare the nails, and apply a new color of gel polish.
This is doable but certainly not easy.
The tricky part is that you can’t use any acetone.
You see, acetone removes acrylic nails as well as gel polish.
So, if you want to change the gel polish that’s on your acrylics you’ll need to use an acetone-free removal method.
Can You Use OPI Nail Polish on Acrylic Nails?
Yes, you can use any OPI nail polish on acrylic nails.
Gel polish or regular both work well.
OPI is a popular brand of nail polish known for its high-quality formulas and long-lasting wear.
Just make sure to use a base coat and topcoat for the best results.
In conclusion, acrylic nails with gel polish are a great choice for those seeking a long-lasting, chip-free manicure.
Just make sure to properly prepare your nails, use a reputable salon, and follow proper maintenance procedures to keep your nails looking their best.
So, go ahead and treat yourself to a set of acrylic nails with gel polish and enjoy a polished, put-together look for weeks to come.