Thinking about adding a touch of silk to your nails? Wanna know how long they’ll last? I’ve got all the info for you! In this post, we’re going to answer a question I get asked a lot: “how long do silk wrap nails last?”.
I’ll also give you some tips and tricks for making your silk nails last longer.
No time to read the whole post?
No problem! Here’s the short and fast answer to your question:
With proper care, silk nails should last between 12 and 14 days. You will need silk nail infills every 2 weeks and a completely new set after 6 weeks.
Now that you have the basic answer, let’s go a bit deeper and get some tips on getting the most out of your silk wrap nails.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
How long do silk wrap nails last?
Silk wrap nails can last for up to 2 weeks.
For most people, silk wraps last between 12 to 14 days.
You might be able to squeeze a few more days out of them if you are really careful with your nails, but you’ll probably feel like you need the infills done after 2 weeks anyway.
Silk nails are not as durable as acrylic or hard gel nails, so they often don’t last as long. But they are less expensive, easier to remove, and much kinder to your nails.
Just like with any other nail treatment, how long your silk wrap nails will last depends on a few different factors.
For example, if you have weak or brittle nails, they may not last as long as someone with stronger nails.
Similarly, if you are hard on your hands (constantly in water, using harsh chemicals, etc.), your nails may not last as long as someone whose hands are better protected – by wearing gloves for instance.
The growth rate of your nails will also affect how long your silk nail wraps last. I have a friend whose nails grow really fast and she only gets around 10 days before she needs refills.
How often should I get my silk nails done?
Since silk nails last for around 14 days, it’s a good idea to schedule an infill appointment every 2 weeks.
Silk nails don’t need much maintenance, just a quick buff and a top-up of silk and you’ll be good to go for another fortnight.
Your nails should last you for 6 weeks before you need to remove the silk wraps and replace them fully.
Tips for making them last longer
If you want your silk nails to last as long as possible, here are some tips that may help:
- Be gentle with your nails – don’t pick or peel at the wraps. I have to admit that I’ve been guilty of this before. Picking at the wraps can be tempting, but for the health of your nails please don’t do it!
- Avoid using your nails as tools. Nothing breaks nails quicker than using them as tools. If you need a tool, grab a tool and save your nails.
- Wear gloves when doing chores around the house. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve chipped a nail while cleaning! You’re not going to be thinking about your nails while you’re doing chores, so do your silk nails a favor and throw on some gloves before you start.
- Try not to immerse your hands in water for long periods of time. You should be especially careful around water with silk nails. Wear gloves while washing dishes and in the shower too if you can!
- Stay away from harsh chemicals. Obviously, contact with chemicals is going to affect your nails, so if you like to do DIY or crafting, protect your nails first.
- Use hard gel or acrylic over the top. You can actually use silk wraps under gel or acrylic nails. This will make them last longer and protect your natural nails.
Do silk wrap nails last longer than acrylic nails?
No. Silk wrap nails do not last as long as acrylic nails.
Silk wrap nails last for 12 to 14 days whereas acrylic nails last for up to 3 weeks.
This is because silk wraps are less durable than acrylic nails.
How long do silk wrap nails last compared to gel polish?
The answer to this depends on how long you usually get out of your gel polish.
Again, the condition of your nails and how careful you are with them is going to factor in.
I usually get between 7 to 10 days from gel polish, but I get 12 to 14 days from silk nails, so for me, silk nails last longer.
How long do silk wrap nails last compared to polygel nails?
Like acrylic nails, hard gel nails like poly gel nails will usually last for around 3 weeks.
So poly gel nails last 7 days longer than silk wrap nails on average.
Let’s wrap this up!
In short, silk wraps last around 14 days and need to be refilled every 2 weeks. They are less durable than acrylic nails but require less maintenance.
Tips for making them last longer include staying away from water, chemicals, not using your nails like tools; wearing gloves when doing chores; and using hard gel or acrylic over the top.
Silk nail wraps do not last as long as acrylic or poly gel nails.
FAQs about silk wrap nails
1) What is a silk wrap nail?
Silk nail wraps are a type of overlay or extension that lasts for 14 days and needs to be refilled every 2 weeks. These nails require less maintenance than your average acrylic or gel polish manicure, but are not as durable as either one. Find out more here.
2) Do silk wrap nails have different benefits?
Yes. Silk nail wraps are better for your natural nails than acrylics or poly gel nails. They are also cheaper and much easier to remove.
That’s it! I hope that you enjoyed my how long do silk wraps nails last? post.
Enjoy your silky nails!
Check out our best polygel nail kits article here.